Friday, April 20, 2007

Virginia Like Ile-Ife



The Virginia College shootings reminds me of that night in Ife when 6 of our colleagues were shut dead in cold blood by cultists. We were in our first year then. I remember it was a Friday night at we had just done Philosophy 101 test and everybody was trying to relax, I had gone to attend the Freshers' Party organised by the Education Faculty.

Memories just keep coming back to me now...

A cool night it was for having fun. My friends Charles Ubani, Akin Ayodele and Akin Osatuyi and I had all made our way towards the Awo Hall to find that the Kegites Club were having a gyration in the dining hall.

After looking on for a little while, we had retired to our room in the attic located at Blocks I&J, PG Hall and quickly fell into deep slumber. It was around 1 o'clock a.m. The next thing we heard were the shouts of "murder" at about 5 a.m. And on getting out of bed, the news I gathered was that 6 members of the school community had been shot dead in their sleep at various locations by a cult gang that was out on a revenge mission.

That was eight years ago.

Out out brief candle, life's but an actor, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more.

William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment